Also on site at the Lighthouse is the Bailey School, a one-room schoolhouse originally operated west of Mikado approximately 25 miles southwest of the lighthouse. The Norway pine structure was built in 1907 and is still furnished with items of its era. Original to the school is the recitation bench, blackboard, maps, coat rack and pump. Other items include teacher and student desks, drinking pail and dipper, wood stove, and books. Its original school bell sits on the building’s roof. This is one of the few remaining one-room log schoolhouses still standing in Michigan, and it is a reminder of simpler times.
The school remained open through the 1940-41 school year. When the school was closed the students were transported to Oscoda schools. In 1973, Mikado Township began a partial restoration of the building and in 1998 it was disassembled and moved to the Sturgeon Point location.
Bailey School Contact Information:
Kristin Benghauser - 989-471-2088